Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Deep In the Black Forest

Now that we've been able to settle down in Achern for a week I think most of the students have started to get accustomed to the German way of life. They know how to travel by train, have added quite a few more words to their German vocabulary and have already figured out which German candies are the best. I also enjoy seeing everyone cheering enthusiastically for Germany's national soccer team who we all watched play Argentina on Saturday. It was a fantastic game with the Germans exceeding all expectations and securing their place in the semi-finals on Wednesday. I went to the public viewing with my host and her friend. Although it was really hot there were fewer people than last time, she said. Most of the group went to one of the German student's houses to watch the game there where it would be cooler. But either way we all saw Germany beat Argentina 4:0; an awesome score for any game in the World-Cup not to mention against the Argentinians. Spain will be a tough opponent, but we're all crossing our fingers that the youngest team in the World-Cup will finish with another win. With the weather not being so hot on Wednesday and the game being at a later time, I think all of us will be going to the public viewing in the city park. There amongst thousands of excited fans we'll wave our German flags in front of the big screen. I can't wait.

Last week the group also had the opportunity to meet the mayor of Achern. Every year we walk to the courthouse and are received by Mr. Muttach in the great hall where we present him with the official gift from our city. I was able to get a picture of the whole group sitting on the edge of the stage before the reception.


I've also included some pictures I took of the Black Forest area. On severel occasions while hiking or mountain biking with my host family, I was able to capture some of the views from an altitude of about 1000 meters.

Greetings from the Black Forest!
Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment